19 twin pond lane, lincoln | Pertzoff and Quarton, 1964
The serene 1964 Frank House was designed by Lincoln architect Constantin Pertzoff and partner Frances Quarton. The design emphasizes the integration of interior and exterior elements allowing the natural setting and nature to become the building’s focus and true embellishment. The low horizontal profile of the house melds to its surrounding landscape, retaining a sense of modesty and deference to its setting.
Constantin Pertzoff (1899-1970), who emigrated with his family from Russia in 1920, was an important leader in Lincoln, serving on the Lincoln Planning Board and as original member of the Lincoln Land Conservation Trust. He studied at the notable Prince Tenisheff School in St. Petersburg and briefly attended the Columbia School of Architecture before his family moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts. He received his M.Arch. at the Harvard Graduate School of Design in 1924.
Frances B. Quarton (1918-2017) received an A.B. from Smith College in 1940, a B.A. from Radcliffe in 1942, and that same year was among the first women admitted as degree candidates to Harvard’s Graduate School of Design, graduating in 1944. Quarton worked for approximately 10 years with Pertzoff who changed the name of his firm in 1961 to Pertzoff & Quarton.
Pertzoff developed two Modern neighborhoods in Lincoln, Woodcock Lane in collaboration with William and Jean Preston in the late 1940s; and, Twin Pond Road in the 1960s, planned to minimize the footprint and visual impact of houses and to maximize the preservation of land. In keeping with Modernism’s democratic intent, a portion of the land was held as open space for public recreational use.
Pertzoff’s professional life was dedicated to architecture which included the wise use of land and forward-thinking town planning practices. As an émigré from Russia, he held a deep appreciation for Lincoln’s thoughtful civic engagement and his moral architecture found resonance here. Friend and client, Frances Moss emphasized his ideals,
“His ideas to supply solidly built, modest houses that should fit into their setting without grandiosity, and to preserve the feeling of neighborhood by respecting the environment.”
Such ideals have had a noteworthy impact on Lincoln.
Subsequent additions were designed by Childs, Bertman and Tsekares: Family Room addition in 1969; two car Garage with bonus storage area in 1980; Master Bedroom and Bath Suite in 1996; Greenhouse and glass walkway in 2001.
Dana Robbat for The Friends of Modern Architecture/Lincoln, February 17, 2020
PHOTOS: INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR FACADES, RICHARD MANDELKORN