Stonehedge History

After studying with Walter Gropius at Harvard University's School of Design, William Berkes worked with prominent architect Carl Koch on the pre-fabricated Techbuilt House - until the company closed in 1958. The following year, Berkes founded Deck House with partner Robert Brownell. Their pre-engineered, post-and-beam designs featured quality materials that included exposed Douglas fir beams and ceilings and mahogany windows and trim. An abundant use of glass connected residents to the outdoors and soaring volumes and open spaces were custom designed for the homeowner and the site. In 1962, Deck House bought 75 acres of farmer's-wood-lot land in South Lincoln for a modern home development. Over the next three years, 23 lots with various models of Deck Houses were built on the sloping land. A close, family neighborhood evolved and continues to this day. Fifty years later, the original 23 Deck Houses are still intact and much-loved by their owners - some of them original, and others new to Modernism.

2012 stonehedge deckhouse 800 x 400

For more info on the eight tour houses here >>